fb Victim of Stalking Safe Alert | Saint Paul College MN
Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

All student support services are being provided remotely until further notice. As a result, information on this page may not be correct. Refer to the remote student services listing for current information on service availability.​


Victim of Stalking

Safety Alert: The abuser may be monitoring your computer use. Consider using a safer computer such as one in a public library.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Stalking is unpredictable and dangerous. No two stalking situations are alike. There are no guarantees that what works for one person will work for another. Yet you can take steps to increase your safety. Call an advocate at the St. Paul & Ramsey County Intervention Project at 651-645-2824, or the Minnesota Domestic Violence Crisis Line at 1-866-223-1111 if you are in Minnesota. If you live outside of Minnesota call the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)​. An advocate can help you devise a personalized safety plan specific to your situation, give you information about local laws, refer you to other services and help you weigh options such as seeking a protection order.

  • If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
  • Trust your instincts. Don’t downplay the danger. If you feel you are unsafe, you probably are.
  • Take threats seriously. Danger generally is higher when the stalker talks about suicide or murder or a victim tries to leave or end the relationship.
  • Develop a safety plan, including changing your routine, arranging a place to stay, (you may want to talk with an advocate about alternative housing on campus) and having a friend accompany you. Also, decide in advance what to do if the stalker shows up at your home, work, school, or somewhere else. Tell people how they can help you.
  • Don’t communicate with the stalker or respond to attempts to contact you. However, although do monitor the messages to looks for patterns of escalation.

Stalking is a crime.

  • Keep evidence of the stalking. When the stalker follows you or contacts you, write down the time, date, place, and how it made you feel. Keep e-mails by printing them out, phone messages, letters, or notes. Photograph anything of yours the stalker damages and any injuries the stalker causes. Ask witnesses to write down what they saw.​
  • Contact the Police (651.266.5650) or 911 and/or public safety (651.846.1322). The stalker may also have broken other laws by doing things like assaulting you or stealing or destroying your property. Contact Public Safety for information on protecting yourself on campus.
  • Consider getting a protection order makes it illegal for the stalker to contact you in anyway. You may also be able to get a no-trespass order for campus in certain situations. We strongly encourage you not to file a protective order without an advocate’s assistance. Make a copy for Saint Paul College’s Public Safety and provide a picture of the stalker if you have one and a license plate.
  • Tell family, friends, roommates, and co-workers the stalking and seek their support. Tell public safety staff at your job or school. Ask them to help watch out for your safety.
  • File a harassment/discrimination complaint with the Title IX Coordinator in Administration (651.846.1327​) the stalker is a student, faculty or staff member at Saint Paul College. Public Safety can assist you with this process.
One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info