|96|| ||/programs/Pages/medical-office-professional.aspx||Health Science Programs||Yes||Michael Johnson 2||4/25/2019 8:56 AM|
Medical Office Professional Associate of Applied Science Degree
|Medical Office Professional AAS||11/28/2016 9:14 AM|
Graduates of Medical Office Professional program are eligible to apply to write the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity, Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist (RHDS) examination.
- Medical offices and clinics
- Long-term care facilities
- Surgery centers
- Speciality clinics
- Rehabilitation centers
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
- University of MN, Academic Health Center
- HealthEast Care System
- Fairview Health Services
|Medical Office Professional Gainful Employment Info|
Medical office professionals are critical to the support of clinical staff in the health care industry. Physicians, nurses and other direct patient-contact personnel rely on well-trained medical office professionals to assist them in the creation, maintenance, and retention of quality medical documentation based on patient care. The medical office professional’s job may include transcribing medical documents, creating and processing correspondence, scheduling patient appointments, scanning documents into digital health records, releasing patient information, collecting or abstracting medical data, understanding reimbursement methodologies, meeting physician documentation needs, and other related duties.
for the Medical Office Professional Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree should
possess excellent communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, good
spelling, finger dexterity, and extreme accuracy in their work. Candidates considering this field should be comfortable reading and analyzing data for long periods of time, listening to dictated material for extended periods, assisting the patient documentation needs, and working on an independent basis.
Program Delivery Methods
Hybrid, online and traditional in-class courses on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
Minimum of 40 WPM with 3 errors or less or a grade of “C” or better in BTEC 1400.
Basic computer skills such as word processing, spreadsheets, and Internet usage or a grade of “C” or better in BTEC 1418.
Saint Paul College has transfer articulation agreements between the following program and post-secondary institutions for the baccalaureate degree programs listed below. For more information please go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
Medical Office Professional AAS Degree
- BA Individualized Studies, Metropolitan State University
- BS Healthcare and Human Service Management, Saint Mary’s University-Twin Cities Campus
- BA Health Care Administration, Concordia University-St. Paul
- Computer software applications, including advanced spreadsheet and database use
- Medical terminology and understanding of human disease, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology
- Patient confidentiality including HIPAA privacy rules
- How to transcribe and edit medical reports and related office correspondence
- Professional interaction with healthcare provides and patients
|Medical office computer input screen and papers|