|101|| ||/programs/Pages/Surgical-Technology.aspx||Health Science Programs||No||Michael Johnson 2||8/3/2021 10:09 AM|
Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science Degree
|Surgical Technology AAS|
Application for Sterile Processing open September 1, 2021. Students interested in the Surgical Technology program must complete SURG 1405, 1410, and 1415 (Sterile Processing). Please see the Sterile Processing page for application. The application for Sterile Processing opens September 1, 2021.
|3/21/2017 8:21 AM||No|
Most surgical technologists work in hospitals. Employment of surgical technologists is projected to grow 15 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Advances in medical technology have made surgery safer, and more operations are being done to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries.
The Surgical Technologist is a critical member of the patient care team, responsible for a wide variety of duties, including preparing the patient for surgery, assisting the surgeon and other operating room personnel. The
Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to participate effectively in the perioperative environment.
Program Delivery Methods
Hybrid, online, traditional in-class courses and hands-on training in state-of-the-art labs on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
Saint Paul College has a transfer articulation agreement between the following program and post-secondary institution for the baccalaureate degree program listed below.
Surgical Technology AAS Degree
- BA Individualized Studies, Metropolitian State University
- BS Healthcare and Human Services Management, Saint Mary's University-Twin Cities Campus
|Surgical Technology Video|
- A comprehensive understanding of medical terminology and how to integrate it into the practice of surgical technology
- How to apply basic understanding of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and microbiology in assisting with surgical procedures
- How to apply aseptic techniques in all aspects of the surgical care of patients.
- Basic use of surgical instruments, supplies, and equipment used in providing patient care
- How to communicate effectively and respectfully with all members of the surgical team
- How to work effectively with a diverse population