|Wellness and Service Programs
|Michael Johnson 2
|2/7/2024 11:06 AM
Child Development Careers ASL Associate of Science Degree
|Child Development Careers ASL AS
|11/18/2016 11:09 AM
Opportunities exist for students to transfer to a 4-year institution after earning the Associate of Science (AS).
Scholarship money is available for those who are already in the field and want to earn a degree.
Our job placement rate is well over 95% and the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the employment outlook will grow faster than average through 2018.
Child Development Careers - American Sign Language (ASL) Associate of Science Degree program is designed for an
individual who would like to transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree to become a
licensed early childhood teacher in the public schools and/or to have advanced
specialization in order to incorporate American Sign Language (ASL) in early
Students will learn about child development, guidance, health and safety, cultural sensitivity, professional relations, and curriculum planning, as well as liberal arts education. Lab and Practicum opportunities are provided which allow students to apply their skills and knowledge in a practical experience.
Students must have a high school diploma, or GED, and pass a criminal background study.
Respect for cultural differences is essential. Good judgment and absolute integrity are also necessary for success in the field of child development.
Program Delivery Methods
Hybrid, online and traditional in-class courses on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
Additional Program Requirements
- All students must meet all reading and writing program entry requirements prior to entering courses beyond the Certificate.
- Students must have a high school diploma, or GED, and pass a criminal background study.
Saint Paul College has transfer articulation agreements between the following program and post-secondary institutions for the baccalaureate degree programs listed below.
For more information please go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
Child Development Careers ASL AS Degree
- BA Individualized Studies, Metropolitan State University
- BS Human Development & Family Studies, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- BS Healthcare and Human Service Management, Saint Mary’s University-Twin Cities Campus
- BA Health Care Administration, Concordia University-St. Paul
- Fundamental principles of child development and developmentally appropriate guidance practices.
- Skills to work with diverse groups of children such as children who have:
- Hearing impairments
- Learning disabilities
- Developmental delays
- Communication disorders
- A home language other than English (learning English with ASL helps dramatically)
- Not learned to talk yet (infants can sign months before they can say their first word)
- Not learned to read (ASL is a bridge from verbal to written communication)
- Skills in family, community, and staff relations
|Adult and child's hand signing ASL