Saint Paul College Annual Awards
At the May 19, 2022 Friends on the Lawn event, a special graduate and a friend of the College will be honored in grateful appreciation for their service to the College.
We welcome your nominations of those who have served and contributed to the success of Saint Paul College and our students.
Please complete the nomination form and submit it via email to Friends of Saint Paul College executive director, David Kline, at
firstname.lastname@example.org before December 1, 2021.
2021 Award Recipients
The 2021 award recipients are Mr. Tom McCarthy, Alum of the Year, and Ujamaa Place, Community Partner of the Year.
2021 Alumnus of the Year
Over the past 30 years, Tom has been a fierce advocate for Saint Paul College, as a student, alumnus (1986) and instructor.
He currently serves as member of the President’s Advisory Committee, on a program advisory board, an apprenticeship committee, and was a board member for seven years with the Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation (2010-2017).
The College has been an important part of his career as a Union Plumber. He is the Business Manager of St. Paul Plumbers Local 34 and President of the St. Paul Building Trades Council.
Tom has led his union’s collaboration with Community Action Partnership to serve homeowners in need with free plumbing services. This “Water’s Off” program started in 1994. Volunteers have been to more than 3,500 homes donating 11,000 hours of their time to preform services valued at $1.5 million. This is a way for the plumbers to give back to the community.
2021 Community Partner of the Year
Ujamaa Place provides holistic transformation for young African-American men experiencing inequity at the intersection of race and poverty. We help them achieve brotherhood, stability and personal success.
Since opening its doors in 2010, Ujamaa serves primarily African American men aged 18-30 from the Twin Cities seven-county metropolitan area, who enroll at no cost in Ujamaa Place’s
Theory of Transformation™, providing them with over 37 transformation support services to build positive lives for themselves and to move into contributing roles in society.
Under the leadership of CEO Otis Zanders,
Ujamaa Place has successfully transformed over 5,000 men and has maintained a 4% recidivism rate, compared to 68% nationally, according to the National Institute of Justice.
Ujamaa Place has sent its clients to Saint Paul College for customized training courses and other credit courses for many years. A Ujamaa Men Scholarship also reduces barriers for achieving educational goals.
Watch this video about the partnership Saint Paul College has with Ujamaa Place.
We are grateful to these exemplary individuals and institutions for their unwavering support, contributions and service to our programs and students. Here are our past recipients:
Alumni of the Year Recipients
- Richard Anfang (Painting and Decorating ‘66)
- Jerry Barnes (Pipefitting ‘67)
- Jean Bauer (Medical Laboratory Technology ‘75)
- Ryan Caulfield (Culinary Arts ‘96)
- James Doody (Plumbing ‘70)
- Carla Fryar (Cosmetology ‘82)
- Robert Haskins (Machine Tool ‘75)
- Richard Hesse (Machine Tool ‘58)
- Leonard Karter (Watchmaking ‘73)
- Nathaniel Khaliq (Carpentry ‘72)
- Sidney Magee, Jr. (Auto Body Repair ‘68)
- Rep. Tim Mahoney (Pipefitting ‘85)
- Tom Nielsen (Machine Tool ‘84
- John O’Connor (Sheet Metal ‘61)
- Tola Oladipupo (ASL ’16)
- John Schiltz (Culinary Arts ‘75)
- Curt Southward (Electrical Technology ‘74)
- Robert Tipler (Electrical Technology ‘64)
- Steven Tufenk (Pipefitting ‘74)
- Pamela Wellumson (Sign Language Interpreter Training ‘81)
- Robert Widerski (Plumbing ‘62)
Community Partner of the Year Recipients
- James Staloch, 2007
- Howard Guthmann, 2008
- David Berg, 2009
- Councilmember Daniel Bostrom, 2010
- President Emeritus Donovan Schwichtenberg, 2011
- International Institute of Minnesota, 2014
- Mayor Chris Coleman, 2015
- Karin McCabe, 2016
- Representative Alice Hausman, 2017
- Laura Beeth, 2018
- Greg Buck, 2019