fb Public Safety | Saint Paul College MN
Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Public Safety

The Office of Public Safety is an integr​al part of th​e camp​us community and a positive presence ​​​on our campus. All members of the department strive to be sensitive to the needs of all while protecting the rights and property of the campus community.

There are certain non-emergency services that Public Safety will provide as part of their responsibilities. Any non-emergency services requested may not be responded to immediately if an emergency does arise.


The Public Safety Department provides an array of services to the campus community and can be contacted by calling 651.846.1322 or in person by stopping by the 1st floor information desk, located next to the One Stop​. Services include, but are not limited to:

  • Safe Walk Escorts
  • Vehicle Jump-Starts
  • Vehicle Lock-Out Assistance
  • Medical/First Aid Assistance
  • Room Unlock/Lock
  • Key/Card Access Activation
  • Criminal Incident Investigation
  • Campus Incident Reporting Management
  • Lost/Found Property Management
  • Safety Seminars and Personal Safety Training
  • Harassment/Order for Protection Assistance
  • State Vehicle Use Authorization
  • Off-Campus Resource Referrals
  • Campus Offices and Directional Information
Sexual Violence Policy and R​esources

Click here for more information on Sexual Violence

What is included as “sexual violence” under system policy and procedure
Sexual violence is defined in Board Policy 1B.3 as “a continuum of conduct that includes sexual assault, and non‐forcible sex acts, as well as aiding acts of sexual violence.”

  • Sexual violence often is a criminal violation subject to prosecution by law enforcement authorities, and may constitute the basis for employee or student discipline.
  • Sexual assault means an actual, attempted, or threatened sexual act with another person without that person’s consent, regardless of the person’s age. This includes, but is not limited to, the following examples:
    • Forced sexual intercourse
    • “Date rape”
    • Involvement in any sexual act with a person who is not able to give consent
    • Intentional and unwelcome touching, coercion, forcing, or attempting to force someone to touch a person’s intimate parts.

What does “consent” mean?
Under the policy, consent must be informed, freely given and mutually understood.

  • Consent does not exist where
    • Threats, force or intimidation are used.
    • An individual is mentally or physically incapacitated or impaired so that the complainant cannot understand the fact, nature or extent of the sexual situation
  • Consent cannot be assumed based on a person’s silence or consent for past sexual activities

Who is required to report sexual violence?
Any person with knowledge of a suspected incident of sexual violence should report it as soon as possible. In addition, you are required to report sexual violence if you are a college or university employee with supervisory or student‐advising responsibility and you have been informed of sexual violence against an individual on college/university property or related to college/university activities. Required reporters include:

  • Campus security department staff
  • Other staff with security responsibilities
  • Advisors to recognized student organizations
  • Athletic coaches
  • College or university personnel with significant responsibility for student or campus activities (for example, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings).

It is critical that all reporting be done with utmost sensitivity and, to the extent possible, confidentiality. All required reporters must familiarize themselves with their responsibilities and appropriate procedures, including data privacy and confidentiality. (See the link to system policy and procedure, above.)

How do I make a report of sexual violence?

  • If you see an act of violence or abuse occurring, call 911 and notify law enforcement immediately that you believe a crime is occurring and provide the necessary details.
  • Acts of sexual violence that already have occurred should be reported as quickly as possible to any campus security authority; campus security authority names and contact information should be posted on the college or university Web site. If in doubt, contact campus security for further assistance. The name or other personally identifiable information about the person against whom the violence was directed will be provided to law enforcement authorities only with that person’s consent, except as required or permitted by law (for example, when the subject is a child under 18).

Where can I get additional training about sexual violence prevention programs and procedures for responding to incidents of sexual violence?

Sexual Offense Services of Ramsey County
Crisis Line/Service Line: 651.266.100​​

Sexual Assault Resource Service - Hennepin County
24-Hour Crisis Line: 612.871.5111​

National Sexual Assault Hotline
Call 1.800.656.HOPE

Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
Web site: http://www.rainn.org/get-help/national-sexual-assault-hotline

Local Hospitals

  • Regions Hospital
    Emergency Room: 651.254.5000
    640 Jackson St.
    St. Paul
  • St. Joseph's Hospital
    Emergency Room: 651.232.3348
    69 W. Exchange
    St. Paul
  • United Hospital
    Emergency Room: 651.241.8755
    333 North Smith Ave.
    St. Paul

Law Enforcement Resources

  • St. Paul Police Department: 651.291.1111
  • St. Paul Sex Crimes Unit: 651.266.5685
  • Ramsey County Sheriff: 651.767.0640
  • Minneapolis Police Department: 612.673.3000
  • Hennepin County Sheriff: 612.348.3744 

Additional Services -

Council on Crime and Justice
24-Hour Service Line: 612.340.5400

Who do I contact for more information or questions regarding sexual violence at the college?
Thomas Bergs
Director of Public Safety
Office #1461

Child Abuse and Neglect

Reports of abuse or neglect of a child or vulnerable adult, where the individual is not in immediate danger, must be made to law enforcement or state or county social service agencies. Further information about mandated reporting of abuse or neglect of children is available at:

Who is required to report abuse or neglect of children or vulnerable adults?
Minnesota law provides special protection for children under 18 and vulnerable adults. These laws, Minnesota Statutes sections 626.556 and 626.557, identify those who are mandated to report neglect or abuse of children under 18 and maltreatment of vulnerable adults; further information about reporting requirements is available at the links noted above.

  • Faculty, student teachers or clinical participants, day care personnel, and others involved in education or services to children or vulnerable adults may be considered mandated reporters under both of these laws.
Timely Warnings

The Department of Public Safety is authorized by the College to maintain accurate law enforcement records of all criminal activity on campus, near campus, or involving the college community.

The Department of Public Safety has a strong working relationship with the Associate Dean of Student Development and Services, Student Life, Human Resources, other College departments, and campus security authorities. Public Safety works closely with these reporting authorities to ensure timely reporting of criminal information while maintaining or extending confidentiality (except where required by law or College policy).

In order to make timely warnings to the Saint Paul College community, it is important for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors to notify the Department of Public Safety and proper authorities when a crime occurs.

Multiple efforts are made to inform the campus community in a timely manner about crime and suspicious activity, personal safety issues, and other crime-related concerns on campus and in the neighboring community. Sharing timely information educates the campus community and aids in the prevention of similar incidents. For these reasons, the Department of Public Safety and the College go beyond the reporting requirements established in the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)). The Department of Public Safety shares additional security and safety information on an on-going basis. For the latest and most up-to-date information on timely warnings, students, faculty, staff, and visitors should watch for Department of Public Safety postings throughout campus, as well as postings, warnings, and information distributed through broadcast emails.

These postings describe crimes or security concerns and solicit information from the college community regarding the reported incidents. They also share important crime prevention tips, ways to report crime, and phone numbers to use to share information.

There are three different types of postings:

Public Safety Bulletins
Public Safety bulletins are printed on blue paper and outline topics of concern that serve to educate students, faculty, and staff on the environment in which they live and work. These postings emphasize crime awareness and prevention and are posted around campus to warn students, employees, and guests of situations in which the college community may be vulnerable. Examples of incidents calling for Public Safety bulletins are thefts, fraudulent activity, or dangerous conditions.

Public Safety Advisories
Public Safety advisories are printed on yellow paper and describe crimes on or off campus that are important to the college community. While not as critical as the incidents described in Public Safety alerts, advisories pose significant concern for the safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and guests.

Public Safety Alerts
Public Safety alerts are printed on red paper and describe situations or incidents of the greatest magnitude. Alerts can include incidents such as robberies, burglaries, multiple thefts on campus, or aggravated assaults.

Students, faculty, staff and visitors should watch for Public Safety bulletins, advisories and alerts posted in campus buildings and distributed via emails throughout the year. The safety of the college community depends on each person staying informed.

SPC Burglary 08-18-2015

​Campus Security Report

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, Saint Paul College monitors criminal activity and publishes an annual report, maintaining a three-year statistical history on the Saint Paul College campus and at off-campus facilities used by the College or by recognized College organizations.

Security Report Documents

​The College will provide a paper copy upon request. To request a paper copy, please call 651.846.1322 or stop by the Public Safety Department front desk.

Public Crime Log
Public Crime Log
Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)

In compliance with MS4 General Permit, see Saint Paul College's Storm ​Wat​er Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for public comment. Send your comments via e-mail to Thomas Bergs.

2012 MS4 Annual Report

Hazardous Waste License

Saint Paul College is licensed as a Small Quantity Hazardous Waste Generator

View Hazardous Waste​ Generator License​​

One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info