Technicians diagnose trouble accurately with the use of modern testing equipment. They repair and service the entire truck and trailer including gas and diesel engines. They also work on air brakes, multi-speed transmissions, differentials, electrical systems, chassis and engine electronics, cooling systems, air conditioning and refrigeration, the chassis, and many more components of today’s modern truck.
Full-time enrollment is required
This is a two-year, full-time day program. Intro and Safety must be taken concurrently with the other truck technician classes at the start of the program.
It is recommended that the general education requirements be taken in the summer term before the first year or between the first and second years.
What You'll Learn
- Repair and service of gas and diesel engines.
- Repair and service of truck cab climate control systems.
- Repair and service of airbrakes, automatic, and manual multi-speed transmissions, electrical systems, chassis and engine electronics, hydraulics and hydraulic brake systems, and electrical charging and starting systems.
- Diagnose trouble accurately with the use of current testing equipment.
- Truck and heavy equipment dealers
- Truck lines, bus lines, and construction companies owning fleets of vehicles
- Independent repair shops
- Truck maintenance departments for government agencies
- Railroad diesel departments
- Mack Trucks
- Ziegler, Inc. (Caterpillar)
- Metro Transit
- Vitran Express
- Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR)
- Rihm Motors (Kenworth Trucks)
- I-State Truck (Freightliner Trucks)
- Astleford International
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad (BNSF)
- Boyer Trucks (Ford, Sterling and Western Star Truck)
- Learn from experienced instructors who teach in a "hands on" environment.
- Develop technical knowledge through the use of state-of-the-art equipment.
- Program emphasis is on complete vehicle maintenance and repair - excellent preparation for the trucking industry where trucks often have a service life of 1 million plus miles.
- Graduates of the Truck Technician program usually have the choice of many immediate employment opportunities.