The Plumbing program trains apprentices in commercial, residential and industrial plumbing.
Plumbers install and maintain the water, waste disposal, soil and vent, drainage and gas systems in homes and in commercial and industrial buildings. Plumbers also install faucets, bathtubs, sinks and toilets, and such appliances as dishwashers and water heaters. Plumbers often work from blueprints and specifications and are knowledgeable about building and plumbing codes which govern installations.
Applicants must be high school graduates or equivalent. High school courses in mathematics, science, mechanical drawing and wood or metal shop will be helpful.
Plumbing Diploma program is a restricted enrollment program offered through the
Plumbers and Gasfitters Local 34 and Saint Paul College. Admission to the
Plumbing Apprenticeship program is required for enrollment in this diploma
program. Those enrolled in the Plumbing Diploma program are subject to the St.
Paul Plumbers & Gasfitters Apprenticeship Standards, as well as the Saint
Paul College Student Code of Conduct and Academic Integrity Policy. Violations
of these standards or policies may result in removal from both the
apprenticeship program and the plumbing diploma classes. Concurrent enrollment
in both the apprenticeship program and plumbing classes is required.
- Graduates will demonstrate safe and proper use of tools used in the plumbing field.
- Graduates will have knowledge and skills to install piping in commercial, residential and industrial buildings.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge in blueprint reading.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge in code and proper installation practices.
- Graduates will demonstrate science and math skills needed in the plumbing field.