Child Development Careers - American Sign Language (ASL)
back to top

Child Development Careers - American Sign Language (ASL)

Child Development Careers - American Sign Language (ASL)

This program is designed for an individual who would like to transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree to become a licensed early childhood teacher in the public schools and/or to have advanced specialization in order to incorporate American Sign Language (ASL) in early childhood settings.

Students must have a high school diploma, or GED, and pass a criminal background study. Respect for cultural differences is essential. Good judgment and absolute integrity are also necessary for success in the field of child development.

What You'll Learn
  • Fundamental principles of child development and developmentally appropriate guidance practices.
  • Skills to work with diverse groups of children such as children who have: ◦Hearing impairments
    • Autism
    • Learning disabilities
    • Developmental delays
    • Communication disorders
    • A home language other than English (learning English with ASL helps dramatically)
    • Not learned to talk yet (infants can sign months before they can say their first word)
    • Not learned to read (ASL is a bridge from verbal to written communication)
  • Skills in family, community, and staff relations
Career Settings
  • Child Care Centers, Preschools and Nursery Schools
  • Elementary schools as paraprofessionals (No Child Left Behind Act requires an associate degree)
  • Early Childhood Family Education
  • Early Childhood Special Education
  • Extended day school-age programs
  • Home-based settings: family child care, nannies and home visitors
  • Hospitals and Child Life Programs
  • Start your own business
Potential Employers
  • Head Start
  • Children's Home Society & Family Services
  • Public Schools
Additional Benefits
  • The employment outlook is estimated to grow faster than average through 2010.
  • Opportunities exist for students to transfer to a 4-year institution after earning the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree or Associate in Science (AS).
  • Scholarship money is available for those who are already in the field and want to earn a degree.