The Wine Professional Certificate Program is an intensive, professional development program that covers the fundamentals of viticulture, winemaking techniques, major wine regions and styles, sensory evaluation of wine, professional wine service, the business of wine, and wine marketing strategies. Graduates of this program will be prepared for careers in the restaurant/hospitality industry, wine distribution and wholesale/retail wine trade. Intended for hospitality professionals this certificate program would also delight the wine enthusiast.
The wine industry is rapidly expanding within the United States, where wine sales represent the largest wine consumer market in the world. Global wine consumption is predicted to grow another 6.2 percent through 2015, an increase of two billion bottles. Wine sales have now surpassed beer sales with millennial rapidly adapting to wine over beer. Wine sales are an important profit center for the restaurant/ hospitality industry and thus a comprehensive knowledge of wine is critical for maximizing outcomes. The Wine Professional certificate provides the graduate with a strong knowledge of wine, wine service skills and wine marketing strategies.
All 9 credits in the Wine Certificate program must be taken concurrently. Students must be at least 21 years of age to enroll in this program.
What You'll Learn
- How to enhance wine and food pairing opportunities
- How to improve menu and wine list compatibility
- Fundamentals of viticulture and winemaking
- Professional wine service techniques and choosing appropriate equipment
- Grape varietals used to make wine, including the impact of terroir (climate/soil)
- Professional tasting techniques for assessment and evaluation of wine
- Wine producing regions of the world
- Wine business considerations such as pricing, trends, environmental storage, and wine regulations
- Restaurant and hospitality industry
- Wine distribution companies
- Wholesale / retail wine trade companies
- Minnesota (Regional) wineries
- Students will graduate with a strong knowledge of wine, wine service skills and wine marketing strategies.
- Graduates will have knowledge and skills in wine business considerations, including wine merchandising, marketing, public relations.
- Experience professional training in a hands-on environment
- Students will graduate with portfolio pieces that will aid in their job search.