Attend an information session to learn more!
Wednesday, April 27
12:00 – 1:00pm OR 7:00 – 8:00pm
Saint Paul College – Fitness Lab, lower lever – Room L270
For more information contact Jeremy Sartain:
Personal Trainers instruct clientele in the betterment of their health through an integrated approach using sound knowledge of appropriate exercises. Functional training techniques, aerobic exercises, advanced stretching modalities (such as PNF and AIS) are implemented appropriately based on initial fitness testing. Graduates from the program perform client assessments and build customized fitness plans for individuals including clients with special needs. Methods of teaching various group fitness classes and nutritional consulting are also utilized.
The US Bureau of Labor and Statistics listed the Personal Fitness Trainer as one of the top overall job openings. They also cited it as the "third fastest growing occupation requiring Post Secondary Vocational School training and is expecting 44% growth by year 2012."
What You'll Learn
- Fundamentals of a healthy diet and the role that carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and minerals play in maintaining health and fitness.
- A solid awareness of nutrition, how to utilize that awareness and make suggestions to clientele where appropriate.
- Basic knowledge of body structure and function, with emphasis on the healthy body.
- Components of human movement, muscles of the body, origin and insertion sites, nerve innervation, associated bones and bony landmarks and action.
- Major components of fitness analysis, exercise program design, functional training program design and the skills necessary for teaching individual and group activities.
- Management of common soft-tissue injuries through inhibitory techniques, bracing, taping, advanced stretching and corrective exercise techniques.
- Fitness centers
- Health clubs
- Private clubs
- Sports rehabilitation facilities
- Private practice
Licensing or certification exams are independent of graduation requirements
- Graduates will be prepared to take the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) exam for Personal Training Certification.
- Graduates will provide application of personal training techniques to positively contribute to the well-being of the client in a safe and skillful manner.
- During internships, students will be placed at various training facilities providing direct application of personal training techniques and methodologies.