Electrical TechnologyElectrical Technology Diploma
An electrician is employed to install electrical wiring and equipment for lighting, heating, cooling and other power requirements in residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
In the Electrical Technology Diploma program, students perform installations in accordance with national, state and local safety codes using blueprints, diagrams and specifications. Considerable physical exertion is often required and the work may be performed outdoors or under such hazardous conditions as heights, unfinished construction or high voltages.
Program Delivery Methods
Traditional in-class and hands-on training in state-of-the-art lab on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
What You'll Learn
- Installation of electrical wiring for a variety of wiring methods and power systems in residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- Pipe bending and tool usage
- Interpreting blueprints and wiring diagrams
- Electrical theory
- Use of electrical testing equipment
- Become familiar with the requirements of national, state, and local safety codes as they relate to electrical system installations.
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
View all course descriptions
Additional Program Requirements/Costs
Students should have an interest and aptitude in applied higher algebra, trigonometry, drawing and science. Good eyesight and color vision are important.
Students must attend orientation.
Textbooks are required the first day of class. Go to www.saintpaulcollegebookstore.com for textbook information.
Multimeter and hand tools, approximately $500 new.
- Commercial construction
- Residential construction
- Industrial construction
- Building maintenance
- Electric companies and cooperatives
- Government agencies
- Building maintenance
- Electrical contracting firms such as Hunt Electric, Collins Electric, Peoples Electric
- Electrical utility companies
- Federal, State, County or City government agencies
- Railroad companies
Saint Paul College has a transfer articulation agreement between the following program and post-secondary institution for the baccalaureate degree program listed below.
For more information go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
Electrical Technology Diploma
- BS Operations Management, Minnesota State University-Moorhead
- Learn from experienced instructors who teach in a "hands on" environment.
- Study in a program with an excellent program reputation.
- Program completion is a step towards becoming a career journeyman electrician.
- With work experience, this is the basic education for an electrical career, such as a master electrician, electrical inspector, electrical sales person, estimator, independent contractor and repair persons.
- Apprenticeship opportunity: Completion of the Electrical Technology Diploma program meets the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry requirements. 95% attendance in each course and completion of the diploma may qualify for one year of apprenticeship credit.
Meet the Faculty