02/20 - Saint Paul College will be closed on Monday, February 20, 2017 for President's Day. The College will re-open on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.Close
Wood Finishing TechniquesWood Finishing Techniques Certificate
Wood finishers in the cabinet industry are responsible for the final appearance of the product. They are able to change the look of a product by adding color with different types of stains and then protecting the product with finish coats of materials such as lacquer, varnish, etc.
Students in this program will learn all phases of finishing from repairing existing finishes to applying finishes to new products using various techniques. They will also learn the various products available in the wood finish industry.
Program Delivery Methods
Traditional in-class and hands-on training in state-of-the-art lab on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
What You'll Learn
- Knowledge, skill, and hands-on experience with faux, aging and new finishes
- Application techniques for wood stains and finishes
- Proper use of finishing equipment
- Plastic laminate technology and fabrication
- Print reading and print design
- Safe operation of woodworking equipment.
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
View all course descriptions
Textbook, tool, and supply costs
Additional Program Costs total approximately $1,000 for the following:
- Tools: $500.00
- Books & Supplies: $350.00
- Projects (costs vary) about: $150.00
- Mathematics and drawing skills are helpful.
- Students need to be alert, physically fit and have good vision.
- Students are expected to attend all classes and be prompt.
- It is necessary to have good hand and eye coordination.
- Safety will be a major factor in operating all equipment.
- Safety is taught and students must pass all safety tests before operating equipment.
- Residential & commercial wood manufacturing
- Residential cabinet shops
- Commercial fixtures shops
- Millwork companies
- Wood specialty shops
- Retail furniture companies
- Restoration companies.
- Learn from experienced instructors who teach in a "hands on" environment.
- Learn to work in many different areas of production or specialize in one.
Meet the Faculty
Information provided by www.careerwise.mnscu.edu.