02/20 - Saint Paul College will be closed on Monday, February 20, 2017 for President's Day. The College will re-open on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.Close
Plumbing Diploma program trains apprentices in commercial, residential and industrial
Plumbers install and maintain the water, waste disposal, soil and vent, drainage and gas systems in homes and in commercial and industrial buildings. Plumbers also install faucets, bathtubs, sinks and toilets, and such appliances as dishwashers and water heaters. Plumbers often work from blueprints and specifications and are knowledgeable about building and plumbing codes which govern installations.
Program Delivery Methods
Traditional in-class and hands-on training in state-of-the-art lab on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
What You'll Learn
- Safe and proper use of tools used in the plumbing field
- How to install piping in commercial, residential and industrial buildings
- Blueprint reading
- Code and proper installation practices
- Science and math skills needed in the plumbing field
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
View all course descriptions
The Plumbing Diploma program is a restricted enrollment program offered through the Plumbers and Gasfitters Local 34 and Saint Paul College. Admission to the Plumbing Apprenticeship program is required for enrollment in this diploma program.
Those enrolled in the Plumbing Diploma program are subject to the St. Paul Plumbers & Gasfitters Apprenticeship Standards, as well as the Saint Paul College Student Code of Conduct and Academic Integrity Policy. Violations of these standards or policies may result in removal from both the apprenticeship program and the plumbing diploma classes.
Concurrent enrollment in both the apprenticeship program and plumbing classes is required.
Applicants must be high school graduates or equivalent. High school courses in mathematics, science, mechanical drawing and wood or metal shop will be helpful.
- Commercial, residential and industrial settings
- Power plants
- Waste disposal plants
- Water treatment facilities
Saint Paul College has a transfer articulation agreement between the following program and post-secondary institution for the baccalaureate degree program listed below. For more information please contact a transfer specialist or go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
- BS Operations Management, Minnesota State University-Moorhead
- Upon completion of the program, the graduate may enter into a five-year apprenticeship program that involves on-the-job training and 180 hours of related training each year.
- Before becoming a journeyperson plumber, the apprentice must pass the Minnesota State Plumbing Examination. Licensing is by the State Board of Health.
The Plumbing Diploma program is a part-time, evening program that starts each spring. Call Rick Gale, Program Coordinator, St. Paul Plumbers JATC, at 651.846.1389 for application information and deadlines.
Meet the Faculty
Information provided by www.careerwise.mnscu.edu.