02/20 - Saint Paul College will be closed on Monday, February 20, 2017 for President's Day. The College will re-open on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.Close
Associate in Arts Degree - Emphasis in Social Science/Public AffairsAA Degree - Emphasis in Social Science/Public Affairs
in Arts Degree - Emphasis in Social Science / Public Affairs program
provides students with the opportunity to learn both the political
science-based interpretation of public policy as well as the integration of
other disciplines and fields that directly contribute to the management of
Students who successfully complete the Associate in Arts Degree – Emphasis in Social Science/Public Affairs will be prepared to transfer to a baccalaureate program in Social Science or Political Science.
Program Delivery Methods
Online, hybrid, traditional in-class courses and hands-on training in state-of-the-art labs on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
What You'll Learn
- How to apply political theory to contemporary problems and issues
- An understanding of the fields of social science and public affairs
- Develop skills in thinking, communication and methods of inquiry and applications of knowledge
- Critically examine and develop an appreciation for diverse people, cultures, and life roles.
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
General Education/MnTC Requirements
The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) is the general education
curriculum for the Minnesota State system. Choose MnTC courses according
to the requirements listed on your Program Requirements Guide. Refer to
the MnTC course list for each Goal Area:
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) list.pdf
View all course descriptions
Additional Requirements for AA Degree
- At least 60 earned college-level credits (40 MnTC credits and 20 additional MnTC, pre-major or elective credits)
- A grade of “C” or better in ENGL1711
- Associate in Arts (AA) cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Meet Saint Paul College residency requirement: 20 credits. This requirement may be reduced to 12 credits with transfer of at least 12 college-level credits from another Minnesota State College and University or the University of Minnesota.
Students who successfully complete the Associate in Arts Degree – Emphasis in Social Science/ Public Affairs will be prepared to transfer to a baccalaureate program in Social Science or Political Science. With a degree in political science you can work in a number of fields within the Government and Public Administration system such as compliance officers, operations managers, political scientists, and public relations specialists.
Saint Paul College has transfer articulation agreements between the following program and post-secondary institutions for the baccalaureate degree programs listed below. For more information please contact a transfer specialist or go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
AA Degree - Emphasis in Social Science/Public Affairs
- BA Social Science - Generalist Metropolitan State University
- BA Social Science - Political Science Metropolitan State University
Transfer Specialists are the Academic Advisors for the Associate in Arts degree. They are located in the Advising Center, Room 1340, Main Floor. For assistance or additional information about the specific articulation agreements, please call or email the Transfer Center at 651.846.1739 or email@example.com.
Meet the Faculty
Information provided by www.careerwise.mnscu.edu.