02/20 - Saint Paul College will be closed on Monday, February 20, 2017 for President's Day. The College will re-open on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.Close
Associate in Arts Degree - Emphasis in HistoryAA Degree - Emphasis in History
The Associate in Arts Degree – Emphasis in History provides students with the opportunity to study the narrative of past events as they relate to the human race. They use this knowledge to discuss, write, and educate others regarding the interpretation of the past.
Students who successfully complete the Associate in Arts Degree – Emphasis in History will be prepared to transfer to a baccalaureate program in History.
Program Delivery Methods
Online, hybrid, traditional in-class courses and hands-on training in state-of-the-art labs on Saint Paul College campus, St. Paul, MN
What You'll Learn
- An understanding of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures
- Concepts and principles of the natural sciences, mathematics, history, social and behavioral sciences, arts, and humanities
- Skills in thinking, communication, and methods of inquiry and applications of knowledge
- How to critically examine and develop an appreciation for diverse people, cultures, and life roles
- Oral and written communication skills to communicate with a wide range of diverse populations
Program Requirements Guides
View the Program Requirement Guide to learn about Minimum Program Entry Requirements, Recommended Course Sequence and Program Outcomes:
General Education/MnTC Requirements
The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) is the general education
curriculum for the Minnesota State system. Choose MnTC courses according
to the requirements listed on your Program Requirements Guide. Refer to
the MnTC course list for each Goal Area:
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) list.pdf
View all course descriptions
Additional Requirements for AA Degree
- At least 60 earned college-level credits (40 MnTC credits and 20 additional MnTC, pre-major or elective credits)
- A grade of “C” or better in ENGL1711
- Associate in Arts (AA) cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Meet Saint Paul College residency requirement: 20 credits. This requirement may be reduced to 12 credits with transfer of at least 12 college-level credits from another Minnesota State College and University or the University of Minnesota.
Students who successfully complete the Associate in Arts Degree – Emphasis in History will be prepared to transfer to a baccalaureate program in history. A History degree is also useful preparation for careers in policy studies or the practice of law. With a degree in history you can work in a number of fields within the government and education systems such as:
- special collections librarians
- museum work
- faculty at secondary and post-secondary institutions
Saint Paul College has transfer articulation agreements between the following program and post-secondary institutions for the baccalaureate degree programs listed below. For more information please contact a transfer specialist or go to www.saintpaul.edu/Transfer.
AA Degree - Emphasis is History
- BA History, Metropolitan State University
Meet the Faculty
Information provided by www.careerwise.mnscu.edu.