Saint Paul College adheres to the Federal Drug-Free Schools Act of 1989. The College prohibits the use of illicit drugs and alcohol on campus. However, the College also recognizes the reality of drug and alcohol abuse and dependency. The College will take steps to educate its community regarding the health risks associated with alcohol and drug abuse. Appropriate referral to counseling and health agencies will be made for individuals as needed. As needed, you are encouraged to seek assistance with chemical dependency. For information, please contact the Counseling Center at 651.846.1383.
The standards of conduct at Saint Paul College clearly prohibit the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of alcohol and drugs by students on the College premises, or in conjunction with any College-sponsored activity or event, whether on or off campus.
The College will impose sanctions on students who violate this policy. Disciplinary action may include a written reprimand, suspension or dismissal, and referral for prosecution under local, state, and federal law. Rehabilitation may become a condition of continuing association with the College.
Standards of conduct, as outlined below, apply to all students and student employees at the College.
Drug and Alcohol-Free Campus: According to the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 101-226) and Minnesota Statute 152 (Prohibited Drugs, 340A Liquor Act and 624.71 Liquors in Certain Buildings or Grounds), Saint Paul College prohibits the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol by its students and employees.
- No student or student employee shall manufacture, sell, give away, barter, deliver, exchange, or distribute; or possess with the intent to manufacture, sell, give away, barter, deliver, exchange, or distribute a controlled substance or drug paraphernalia as defined in Minnesota Statute 152, (1) while on campus, or (2) while involved in a College activity, service, project, program, or work situation off campus.
- No student or employee shall possess a controlled substance, except when the possession is for that person’s own use, and is authorized by law, (1) while on campus, or (2) while involved in a College activity, on or off campus, service, project, program, or work situation off campus.
- Except as allowed by Minnesota Statute 624.701, no student or employee shall introduce upon, or have possession upon, any college campus, or while involved in a College activity, service, project, program, or work situation, any alcoholic beverage as defined in Minnesota Statute 340A.101.
- Student employees working on federal grants or contracts who are convicted of a criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace are required to inform the principal campus administrator of this fact within five calendar days of the conviction.
- The College will notify the federal government within ten days after receiving notice of an employee being convicted of a criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace.
- No employee shall report to work, and no student shall report to campus, while under the influence of (1) alcohol or (2) a controlled substance, except as prescribed by a physician, which affects alertness, coordination, reaction, response, judgment, decision making, or safety.
Sanctions: Administrative and legal sanctions, up to and including expulsion and referral for prosecution, will be imposed on students who violate the preceding standards of conduct. Administrative and legal sanctions, consistent with existing contracts, up to and including termination of employment and referral for prosecution, will be imposed on employees who violate the preceding standards of conduct. A disciplinary sanction may include the completion of an appropriate rehabilitation program.
Saint Paul College is a smoke-free campus. Smoking and the use of tobacco products are only permitted in Designated Smoking Areas on campus.
There are Designated Smoking Areas in the following locations:
- Lot B (West of the main building)
- Lot F (North of the main building)
View Map of Designated Smoking Area locations
New Sanctions Effective April 12, 2011 – Citations will be given for noncompliance
Smoking in prohibited areas on the Saint Paul College campus grounds has consistently been a problem and up until this point, only warnings and reminders have been issued to those in violation. Due to the continued issues of noncompliance, effective Tuesday, April 12, 2011, any individual observed violating the no smoking policy will be issued a citation for $20.00. Continued violations will result in cumulative consequences. Upon receipt of three (3) or more citations students may be subject to student discipline, including, but not limited to, suspension.
Those who wish to smoke on the College grounds are allowed to do so only in the two (2) designated areas. These areas are located in Lot B (west of the main building) and Lot F (north of the main building). Please refer to the attached campus map for the specific location of these designated areas. Smoking is also permitted on the city sidewalks surrounding the exterior grounds of the campus. All other areas are considered prohibited and are subject to enforcement.
If you smoke, please help maintain a clean and safe environment on campus by fully extinguishing your cigarettes and depositing them in an ashtray or smoking receptacle before entering no smoking areas.
Additional MN state laws and regulations regarding smoking can be found at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?topic=926321