back to top

Frequently Asked Questions about Parking

About the new access system

Why do I have to pay for parking?

The Legislature of the State of Minnesota and the MnSCU Board of Trustees established policies stating all users of parking facilities at Minnesota State Colleges and Universities must pay a fee for parking. The parking fee must cover all costs associated with the parking operations of the College 

Who do I see about parking issues?

The parking office is located in Room 1245 across the hall from the career center and behind the business office. Emails can be sent to the Campus Parking account:

What is contract parking?

If you have an active parking access card issued by Saint Paul College you are considered contract parking. You can access any entrance or exit in the parking system.

Where to park

Can I park anywhere in the lot?

Students can park in any unrestricted or undesignated parking area. A state-issued handicap permit is required for all spaces marked for handicap parking only. There can be no parking in fire lanes, blocking building entrances or sidewalks/crosswalks. Citations will be issued for parking violations. If necessary, citations will be sent to the State of Minnesota Department of Revenue for collection.

Is motorcycle parking available?

Yes, motorcycle parking is available in the designated parking areas accessed off of the Kellogg Blvd. and Marshall Ave. entrances. Both entrances can be used by access card holders. Visitors can park in either the upper or lower lot designated motorcycle parking area; however, visitors must use the Marshall Ave. entrance and then exit at Marshall Ave. by paying the hourly rate when leaving. The cement motorcycle parking areas are located to the left of the Kellogg Blvd. entrance in the lower lot and in the upper lots at the east end of Lot B.

Entering/Exiting lot

If I get into the exit lane and cannot pay or the machine is broken, what do I do?

Press the intercom button on the exit device to contact the Office of Public Safety and the parking office.

When do I need to present my parking access card: when I enter or when I exit?

Contract parkers (people using the parking access card) can come in on Marshall Avenue, Kellogg Blvd. or the entrance along Concordia Avenue. You will need to present your parking access card upon entry and again when you leave. If the parking access card is not presented when you leave, the parking system will think you are still in the lot and it will deny you access the next time you try to enter.  Additionally, your card will continue to be charged because it will still think you are present in the parking lot.

If you decide not to have a parking access card, you will need to pull a short-term parking access ticket at the entrance on Marshall Avenue and will then need to pay by cash or credit card when leaving at one of the two exits on Marshall Avenue only.

Visitor/Short-term parking

If I am a visitor, how and where do I pay?

If you are a visitor, please enter the parking lot through the left entrance on Marshall Avenue. Before the gate will open, a short-term parking access ticket will be issued at the gate. This short-term parking access ticket will state the time and day that you arrived. When exiting, you will need to pay with cash or credit card. You will need to exit at the gate on Marshall Avenue.

What are the parking rates for visitors?

1 hour = $1.00
2 hours = $3.00
3 or more hours = $5.00

Can I just pay the daily visitor fee if I only drive to school once in a while?

Individuals only driving on occasion will need to pay the visitor rate. Each person should look to see how they get the best rate depending on how you commute to campus. If you get dropped off most days but need to drive one day a week, it would be cheaper for you to purchase a one day a week card than to pay the daily visitor rate. If you drive one day a month, it would be cheaper to pay the visitor rate of $5.00 per day.

How much does it cost to park if I lose my short-term parking access ticket that I got at the gate when I entered the parking lot?


Access card

Where do I get my parking access card?

Student parking access cards are available at the Tuition Office.

How much does it cost to replace a lost or stolen parking access card?

$10 per card for the first time and $15.00 for any additional replacement cards.

How do I load more money onto my parking access card?

You can go to the website or to the Tuition Office

View detailed instructions: Instructions for Loading Money onto Your Parking Access Card

Parking rates/payment for access card

Are individuals charged per occurrence or per credit?

Parking is not based on a per credit rate; rather, parking is based on the number of days you park on-campus. If a parking access card is obtained by the student, faculty or staff, the current daily rate will be charged.

Does everyone pay the same amount?

The parking fees were established according to Board Policy and State of Minnesota collective bargaining agreements. Daily fees were established so that full-time students and full-time employees pay the same rate.

Can I get a reduced rate if we car pool?

Individuals choosing to car pool would automatically get a reduced rate because they could share the cost of the parking. If 2 people rode together they could split the cost; thereby cutting their rate in half.

What if I paid for a parking access card and I drop all my courses during the drop/add period?

If all courses are dropped during the drop/add period, then you will be entitled to a refund on your parking access card charges.

Does the money I put on my parking access card have an expiration date?

Yes. If you are a returning student, please keep your parking card and reload the parking card with additional dollars for each new semester. Any money left on the parking card will not be refunded if you discontinue attending or end employment at the College. Otherwise, you will be charged for a new parking access card - $10 per card for the first time and $15.00 for any additional replacement cards.

What if I come to school leave and come back again the same day, does that count as only one day on my card?

Yes. The system will only deduct the daily rate for one day from your card. If you do not have a parking access card and are pulling a short term visitor parking access ticket, you would need to pay the applicable hourly rate each time you leave and may potentially pay $10.00 for parking that day.

Parking Violations

What is the penalty if I park in a restricted area?

A $50 parking citation will be issued.

If I get a parking citation, what is the process?

Payment is to be directed to the Tuition Office and requires a copy of the citation. Payment is due fifteen (15) business days from the date the citation was issued. Checks are to be made payable to Saint Paul College. You may appeal your citation within fifteen (15) business days from the date the citation was issued. Appeal forms are available at the Public Safety Desk. The form must be filled out completely to be considered. If you fail to pay your parking citation(s), the fine(s) will be placed on your student record. If the ticket goes unpaid, a hold will be placed on your account and you will be unable to get a copy of your transcript or register until the fine is paid. Unpaid tickets will be processed through the college’s normal collection process and the debt may be submitted to Minnesota Department of Revenue for collection.

It is mandatory that all motor vehicles parked on Saint Paul College campus use the parking access system to go in and out of the parking lot.