Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Charting the Future
Send your ideas, questions, concerns and stories to MnSCU at MyIdeas@so.mnscu.edu
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
MnSCU's core value
Provide an opportunity for all Minnesotans to create a better future for themselves, for their families, and for their communities.
MnSCU's core commitments
The Strategic Framework for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities play an essential role in growing Minnesota's economy and opening the doors of educational opportunity to all Minnesotans. To that end, we will:
- Ensure access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans
- Be the partner of choice to meet Minnesota's workforce and community needs
- Deliver to students, employers, communities and taxpayers the highest value/most affordable higher education option.
Saint Paul College and other Minnesota
State Colleges and Universities are engaged in
a collaborative process to develop specific actions to better serve our 435,000 students and communities,
strengthen our colleges and universities, and protect our unique character and
Even though we remain steadfastly committed to our
compact with Minnesota, we know too well that our ability to fulfill this
promise is at risk – threatened by challenges that could weaken educational
quality and our ability to deliver on our commitments:
- Funding shifts that threaten quality, access, and affordability;
- Increasing competition that affects enrollments in our degree
programs, customized training and continuing education;
- Population shifts in which a larger share of Minnesotans are moving
to a handful of metropolitan areas; and
- Threats to our authority to govern.
At the same time, emerging trends create
opportunities for us to become stronger and serve students in new ways:
- Dramatic growth in the diversity of the students we serve;
- Growth in the number of students enrolled in multiple colleges and
universities within our system;
- Changes in technology that create new opportunities for how
students can learn, how we can teach and support their learning, and how
we can work together;
- The changing nature of work and what it means to be well prepared
for jobs and careers; and
- The growing need for us to demonstrate the capabilities of our
The effort addressing these challenges is Charting the Future, and the work
stems from six recommendations developed with input from more than 5,000 students,
faculty, and staff which were adopted by the Minnesota State Colleges and
Universities Board of Trustees in November 2013:
- Dramatically increase the success of all learners,
especially those in diverse populations traditionally underserved by higher
education. Click for more.
- Develop a collaborative and coordinated academic
planning process that advances affordability, transferability, and access to
our programs and services across the state. Click for more.
- Certify student competencies and capabilities,
expand pathways to accelerate degree completion through credit for prior
learning, and foster the award of competency-based credit and degrees. Click for more.
- Expand the innovative use of technology to deliver
high quality online courses, strengthen classroom instruction and student
services, and provide more individualized learning and advising. Click for more.
- Work together under new models to be the preferred
provider of comprehensive workplace solutions through programs and services
that build employee skills and solve real-world problems for communities and
businesses across the state. Click for more.
- Redesign our financial and administrative models to
reward collaboration, drive efficiencies, and strengthen our ability to provide
access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans. Click for more.
To act on the recommendations and translate them
into specific actions, eight campus-led implementation teams comprised of
students, faculty, and staff were launched. You can view the full rosters here.
The implementation teams currently convening
The implementation teams that began convening this
Tell us what you
Please consider actively participating in shaping
this effort using the resources below:
- Check out the highlights from Implementation Team
Student Success Team: http://chartingthefuturemnscu.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/student-success-team/
Diversity Team: http://chartingthefuturemnscu.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/diversity-implementation-team/
System Incentives & Rewards Team: http://chartingthefuturemnscu.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/system-incentives-rewards-team/
Comprehensive Workplace Solutions Team: http://chartingthefuturemnscu.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/comprehensive-workplace-solutions-team/
- Read the One-Page Overview Sheet:
- Follow @mnscu on Twitter and join the conversation using #ChartingTheFuture